Privacy and Data Security
Style and Design
Usability

In March of this year my website was hacked while I was on vacation.My hosting provider bluehost shut my site down.

When I called I was routed to sitelock and told by a salesman that I had to pay 3000 to clean and restore the site or I could opt to do a monthly service which would include cleaning and getting it up again. I had no choice but to either sign up for 6 months or pay the 3000 to get my website back up again. I decided to do the service. I was told it was only 6 months and I could cancel as soon as the 6 months was up.

The service has been 141.97 per month. I logged into sitelock to cancel and could find no cancel or suspend service information anywhere. I googled how to cancel and found numerous places that said you must email to cancel so I did. I emailed them to tell them to stop the service.

I received an email telling me they received my email. I have emailed them several more times because I was never told it was cancelled and have been charged twice more even though I wanted to stop. I called and was told in order to cancel my service I have to pay a 400 cancelation fee because I was automatically enrolled in another 6 months. I never agreed to this and the man on the phone refused to help me.

I called bluehost because they are a partner service and was told I have free monitoring through them with sitelock so I'm not even sure what I am even paying for through sitelock. It is a scam and I was blackmailed or strong-armed into signing up for the service in the first place so I could have my websites back. I just want to cancel this account now and stop all continued billing. I only agreed to a 6 month contract because I was told I had NO CHOICE other than to pay 3000.

This was absolutely a SCAM and I have no idea how they are still in business! At the minimum I want the additional 2 months I paid back for since I have repeatedly tried to cancel service but I am sure I will get nothing back.

After talked with bluehost and apparently I have had siteock the whole time as a free service ...the entire time I have been paying sitelock.

Review about: Sitelock Anti-malware Software.

Reason of review: scam.

I didn't like: Intimidation tactics, Poor customer service, Misrepresentation, Scam.

Comments

WhiteFirDesign

The parent company of Bluehost is the Endurance International Group, which is run by the majority owners of SiteLock, https://www.whitefirdesign.com/blog/2016/09/08/one-of-sitelocks-owners-is-also-the-ceo-of-many-of-the-companys-web-hosting-partners/, so they are more than just a service partner of SiteLock.

For anyone that hasn't already gone with SiteLock in this type of situation, it is important to note that Bluehost does not require that you hire SiteLock; they only require that you get the website cleaned up. For websites we have dealt with in this situation there has never been an issue with Bluehost turning access back on to the websites after they have been cleaned by us. There are many options out there that can clean up a website in this situation and you can get a higher quality cleanup done than SiteLock provides for much less than they were charging in this situation.

cathy_nance_76

10/07/2017 - today I received an email from sitelock : "Thank you for your recent renewal.Your SiteLock services have renewed on one or more of your domains."

I absolutely didn't renew!

Did you guys know they have an A+ BBB rating?How is this possible with all the reviews here?

cathy_nance_76

I called the bank to reverse the last 2 charges. Thy are working on it on their end.