Featured Not resolved
Privacy and Data Security
Style and Design
Usability

My website is hosted at bluehost. I got an email from sitelock about a malware and my account was instantly deactivated.

I logged in to the live chat asking for Security, then I got a call from a weird dude from SITELOCK.

This guy started asking me how much money I make from that website, and tried to convince me to pay +$700 a year to have the malware removed and some firewall installed.

After I repeatedly told him I have no money to invest in that BLOG, he actually told me:

"Use someone else's money. Just use a credit card."

Every time I told him that I just needed to remove the malware, he would try to scare me saying that it wont work, they will come back, hiring SiteLock is the ONLY way.

I felt creeped out and hung up.

After some google searches I realized those guys are a scam.

Went to the live chat again and asked to speak with customer support.

A Bluehost guy told me that all I had to do was delete 3 files on the file manager and the account would be reactivated.

I did that in 3 minutes and solved the problem.

Sitelock is a scam.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sitelock Sales Representative.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Mar 27.

Comments

you are right dude. they are scam....

Had similiar experince - host gator locked account for issues, recommend site lock, they quoted, then prince with 10X higher during night when pron was redicrting after they took control. Beware

I experienced a similar episode with BlueHost. Quite frankly, I think hosting companies are far too aggressively focused on upselling services that in my experience are highly questionable or in many cases the representatives providing support aren't adequately trained.

My hosting company offers a package with some basic Sitelock features which doesn't cost much. All along I was under the impression that my website was secure via the hosting company and the added Sitelock bonus.

I then noticed a loss of functionality in my site in which someone changed a couple of permalinks. I didn't view that as malicious malware but as suspicious. I fixed the issue, reported it to the hosting company and within a week a get a call from Sitelock telling me something is not configured properly. This is after having this for a few years.

The reason sounded flaky, the Sitelock representative tried to hard sell me as if my site was in mortal danger.

Hosting sites make a lot of money because of the high fees associated with Sitelock. I can't say with absolute certainty that there is a real pressing need for this service, but my gut feel tells me it's not worth the money.