A few years ago the web site I oversee experienced a php injection attack.After I manually cleaned everything, Bluehost technicians suggested I install SiteLock.

Wary of another attack, I followed their advice and signed up for the FREE, basic package, which was simply a weekly scan of the web site for malware. Since I don't receive the bills for the hosting (I only manage the site files), it was a surprise to me when I learned that at some point over the past two years, the SiteLock acccount had been upgraded to "FIX" mode. This meant that owner of the web site was now being charged an additonal $98 /yr for the SiteLock monitoring service. I only recently noticed these charges on a whim.

When I did, I wasted no time and contacted Bluehost by Chat and by phone to have the service cancelled immediately. I was told by the Bluehost technicians that they had no way to cancel the service on their end. I persisted and even threatened to close my hosting account. After nearly an hour on phone and chat, I was told that they would be able to uninstall the SiteLock service, but unfortunately, were unable to provide a refund.

Apparently, SiteLock charges an account for the entire year upfront. I understand the frustration and that others have expressed in this forum. Regrettably, the only thing that seemed to spur Bluehost to action was threatening to change hosting companies, which I still may do so. Bluehost partners with SiteLock, which suggests they are either indifferent to this unethical billing process, or they somehow benefit from it.

Either way, this is not a good mark for either Bluehost or SiteLock.I would recommend to anyone considering the SiteLock service to think twice.

Review about: Sitelock Monitoring Software.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Comments